Dieting Tip #1: Get Serious About Digestion
Most of us have a healthy concern for our weight and wellbeing. In all our endeavours to be better, though, we often overlook one pretty critical factor:
Our gut health
Digestion sits in the centre of our health. In reality, the power of every morsel we eat is determined by the state of our stomach. Unhealthy colons can mean we don’t absorb nutrients, we get damaging blockages, and we can become more predisposed to disease thanks to the reabsorption of toxins.
It’s not a pretty picture, is it? To understand gut health better, we need to understand a little more about bacteria.
Bacteria: good and bad
A healthy gut needs healthy bacteria. Yip, bacteria isn’t all bad! The good kinds are called probiotics, and 80% of the body’s total probiotics are found in the gut. A healthy gut has around 1 ½ kilos of good bacteria (wow), and this fluctuates daily. Lifestyle factors like processed foods, alcohol, cigarettes, pollution and antibiotics kill off our good bacteria, and probiotics are the superheroes that boost that quota back up. Without them, unhealthy bacteria can multiply in the bowels, lowering our immunity and putting us at more risk of infection. It can even increase our chances of chronic disease, like type-2 diabetes and IBS.
Giving your tummy some TLC
Here are a few simple ways above and beyond general dietary guidelines to really prioritise gut health and promote better wellbeing overall:
- Focus on eating more plant-based foods, and eat plenty of fruits and veggies. These are the best sources of nutrients for healthy gut bacteria.
- Take a probiotic. This will repopulate your bowel with good bacteria to tackle any overgrowth.
- Try an elimination diet. Eliminate regular allergy foods from your diet and reintroduce them over time to watch for aggravators. These include dairy, gluten, yeast, peanuts, eggs, corn and soy. This includes just generally looking at your diet and lifestyle to see if there are any obvious tummy aggravators, like sugar and alcohol.
- Eat more fibre. Fibre is essential for regular, healthy bowel movements, and is a key ingredient for tummy health. While fibre isn’t digested by the body, it can be digested by certain healthy bacteria in your gut – which stimulates its growth.
- Go natural. Our Superfoods Blend with Fibre is the perfect way to up to quash a few gut qualms in one go. Not only is it enriched with 50 organic fruit and veggies, it has an added dairy-free probiotic as well as 33% fibre per serving.